I want to like double edge shaving
I really want to like double edge (DE) shaving. I really do. But double edge shaving has left me questioning my grandfather and father’s choice as of late. Why didn’t they switch to the world of electric razors and cartridges. Double edge razors have been standard issue since World War I, so old habits die hard I guess.
Up to this point, my go-to razor has been a Gillete Fusion 5 and a Braun electric razor. I am realizing that I have sensitive skin, but didn’t even know it until I started shaving with a DE razor. My pursuit of having the best shave with sensitive skin has led me to try other razors, and this post is dedicated to reviewing each one. For the record, I am not claiming to be an expert at shaving, I am simply giving a novice opinion and my real life experiences with each product.
My Shaving History
These the products I have used since puberty placed whiskers on my face.
- 1995 – Gillette Trac II Plus
- 1996 – Gillette Sensor Excel
- 1998 – Gillette Mach3
- 1999 – Remington MicroScreen 3 TCT
- 2002 – Philishave Cool Skin (2000 edition)
- 2007 – Gillette Fusion
- 2010 – Braun Series 7
- 2010 – Fusion ProGlide
- 2015 – My wife bought me an updated Braun Series 7
After using all these products listed above, I currently alternate between the Braun Series 7 and the Gillette Fusion ProGlide for my daily shave. I also have kept the Gillette Mach 3 as a travel companion.
The Quest Begins
It wasn’t until 2017 that I started exploring more options. Now, I’m on the quest for an awesome shave.
- 2017 – Van Der Hagen DE Razor (Read my review)
- 2018 – Harry’s (Review coming soon)
- 2018 – Feather Popular (Review coming soon)
- 2018 – OneBlade Core (Read my review)
The quest has led me back to my original setup
After trying each of the four products listed above, I can tell you that I still love my Gillette Fusion and Braun Series 7. Between both of these products, I get an awesome shave.
I want to like double edge shaving, but…
I tried the other products trying to dethrone my Gillette Fusion. I wanted to find the holy grail of shaving in DE razors. The problem is that I just can’t say that exists for me. I love reading posts about how people got a “BBS” and “BSE” with a Feather razor blade. While I did end up getting decent shaves from DE & SE razors, they just don’t top my Gillette Fusion and Braun Series 7 combination.
So why write about this?
My original goal was to hate on my Gillette and find a better experience. As far as the razor is concerned, it didn’t happen! I did find some awesome things along that way that make shaving with my Gillette Fusion an even better experience. Here they are:
- Taking a hot shower before the shave
- Use a pre shave oil before applying shaving cream
- Use a better shaving cream like Cremo or Taylor’s Set
- Use a shave brush to apply the shave cream. Seriously, it works great! Here is what I use and a cheaper version for those that can’t break the bank.
- Use after shave! I use the one that came with the Taylor’s Set
- Use a post shave balm about 15 minutes afterwards (I am using Harry’s)
- Use a sensitive skin lotion with a light suncreen (I am using Dove Men)
There you have it. I do get the best shave of my life, but that doesn’t mean I won’t stop trying new things to dethrone the Gillette Fusion. What I did learn is the products actually matter, but I had already found the best razor combination for my face and skin type. I also learned that what works for some people may not work for me. While DE shaving might work for most of you reading this post (I am truly jealous), I write this to the other readers who may be getting discouraged that DE shaving just wasn’t the best option for them.